Published 8 June 2006
Format PDF Save this article in PDF

Arrest and Trial

I went to Le Havre to see my family over christmas and the new year of 1942 and there i met a collegue of mine (the person who had got me to join the resistance)who said to me "Listen you must return to Dieppe because some people have been arrested and we must know if the printing material is safe, who exactly has been arrested, why and by whom."
In fact, i really didn’t feel like returning to Dieppe to find out this, but at the end of the day the acceptance of orders and discipline compelled me to do so. However it was here where i was arrested because the French police had got to the appartment (where i thought i would be safe) first. They arrested me and i was presented to the chief commissioner, thats to say at that moment in France there were special police to fight agaainst the resistance. If i had for example, a gun on me i would have been sent to the Germans straight away, but given that it was simply propaganda i was kept by French authorities. So i was presented to district judge and charged. During interrogations by the police i denounced no-one but they told me that it could only have been me, they had copies of flyers that they had picked up, also they said that it could have been me as there were no spelling mistakes in what was written, yet because i was a school teacher and because no-one spoke up or spoke out i was made to be the leader. I said "Well if you like, i am the leader," and i was unable to pull through. I could not say that i was not involved and it was too late anyway, we were judged before being arrested. So i was passed before a district judge and sent to Rouen prison where i stayed for three weeks in secret, in a freezing cell (because the winter of 1941/42 was really cold). At this point a brave prison surveillant took pity on me and went to the hospital within the prison, to heat up a brick before giving it to me. Therefore i was less cold from time to time for which i am still grateful.